lot # 50179LA - Militaria > 1948 era militaria
Israel: service pin of "Carmel Brigade", 1948; 1.55g. Unit one of 6 regular 'Hagana' bgds created at informal outbreak of War of Independence, Nov. 1947; orig. designated "2nd Brigade" & known as "Levanoni", commanded by Moshe Carmel, defending area north of Zichron Yaakov; end Feb. 1948, split into "Golani" & "Carmeli" bgds, latter assigned Western Galilee, Haifa & Mt. Carmel, comprised the 21st-24th bns composed of area residents, Technion students & members of the pre-State "Mishmar Ha'am" guard (2,238 soldiers); later commanded by Mordechai Makleff (3rd CoS). Bgd took part in all operations in this area during the War; reserve unit in IDF after War.