1870 (Sep 23), Neptune (Scott BM1), folded letter to Antwerp, Belgium franked with 30c Napoleon Laureate tied by "2" in star with "Paris/ Pl. St. Lazare" c.d.s., Sep 22, and red "PD", backstamped Antwerp Oct 19 (inverted day), Fine to Very Fine.
Maury 1; €15,000 ($15,990).
Estimate $5,000 - 7,500
A rare and desirable cover carried on the first balloon to leave Paris after the...
Sale 707 The Knapp Collection of Airmail Flights
By: Daniel F. Kelleher Auctions
Daniel F. Kelleher Auctions Sale 707 The Knapp Collection of Airmail Flights
The Thomas P. Knapp Collection of Aerophilately, including important offerings from many name collections (some lots still on exhibition pages) and loaded with original news articles, period photographs and research notes. A premier classic airmail postal history collection started in the 1930's by the late Mr. Knapp. Highlights include:
- U.S. Pioneer Airmail Flights
- East and West Transcontinental
- Lindbergh and Earhart
- Zeppelin Flights
- Crash Covers
- Balloons including Ballon Monté
- Great Britain, Canada and Newfoundland Flights
- Other Worldwide including West Indies, South Atlantic, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia